Kate and I talk about making a difference through thoughtful, genuine human connection—across borders and differences—is the absolute key to changing the world for the better.
Kate Otto is the founder of the Everyday Ambassador movement and author of Everyday Ambassador: Make a Difference by Connecting in a Disconnected World.
Kate is also a global health consultant who has worked in Indonesia, Ethiopia, Ghana, Tanzania, South Africa, Mozambique, and Haiti, leading health innovation initiatives for The World Bank, USAID, and various grassroots service organizations in fields of HIV/AIDS care, maternal and child health, and community health.
She holds her BA and Masters in Public Administration degrees from New York University, and is now a physician-in-training at the NYU School of Medicine. She is a proud member of several service-oriented communities, including the Academy of Achievement, the World Economic Forum Global Shapers, Reynolds Program in Social Entrepreneurship, the Truman Foundation Scholarship, and the Henry Luce Foundation.
Here’s what Kate and I talk about:
- An Everyday Ambassador? Connecting with people who aren’t like you.
- Before helping someone it’s important to first think about their needs and wants rather than assume you know.
- What are you an #AmbassadorOf?
- Texting during an interview is not the way to go.
- It’s good to be vulnerable and say when you don’t know something, it builds the connection.
- The ease of being connected to technology 24/7 is the number one thing causing the dis-connectivity we’re experiencing.
- What happens when we have no technology…
- Aziz Ansari – Modern Romance
- “Technology is meant to connect people who are otherwise far away, not create new distances between people who are already close.” – Unknown
- Set a designated amount of time for yourself to be on social media.
- Everyday Ambassador is a network of global citizens that believe in how important human connection is especially related to social impact.
- The turning point was in 2012 when UNC asked Kate to speak at their TEDx.
- Her personal inventory lead her to recognize her values and was the spark of inspiration to start the Everyday Ambassador movement.
- Find out what your goal is, declare it in some way, helps keep you going.
- Seek out and surround yourself with inspiration.
- Her goal is to shift the mindset of people to create a more just, fair, healthy place to live.
Kate’s Practical Tips & Gift for Academy members:
- Get in the habit of turning your phone on silent or airplane mode.
- Make the effort to be in one place at one time.
- Make a point to connect with one person each day for the next year – introduce yourself, say hello, ask their name.
Get Kate’s Exclusive Academy gift
Connect with Kate
- Website: www.EverydayAmbassador.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/everydayambassador
- Twitter: @kateotto @everydayamb
- Want to become a partner organization? Connect with Kate: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Get Kate’s Book – Everyday Ambassador
Get the new episode every Sunday – SUBSCRIBE to the show
Click below to tweet some love!
If you enjoyed this episode, head on over to iTunes and leave us a rating and review!